Thursday, November 09, 2006

 

DLF: JHOVE2

In a separate post, I've covered other events at the Digital Library Federation forum today. This is about the subject which I actually know something about: JHOVE. Since this was a public forum, it gives me a chance to talk about where we are without inadvertently saying anything that shouldn't be public yet. Stephen Abrams led the discussion. I wasn't officially on the panel, but jumped in a lot. You're allowed to do things like that when you wrote almost all the code.

JHOVE is being used quite a bit among digital libraries to identify and validate file formats. But having gotten this use, it's showing where it needs improvement. Once the project for the next version starts up -- it's still waiting for money -- there will be a lot of added features to make users happier. Here is a sampling:

It's mapped out as a two-year project. I hope it'll start up soon; I'd love to get back to being a "wizard of files and formats."

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

free hit counters
free hit counters
hits since 30-Oct-2006